Mindful Self-Compassion 8-Week Online Course
with Marcie Handler and Beth Sandweiss
Mindful Self-Compassion is a structured 8-week course designed by psychologists Chris Germer, a leader in the integration of mindfulness and psychotherapy and Kristin Neff, a leading academic researcher in the area of self-compassion. This empirically supported training is designed to help participants cultivate self-compassion, one of our greatest internal resources for coping and resilience. Participants will learn about the two sides of self-compassion; the gentle side —comforting, soothing, and nurturing— and the fierce side that is equally important and involves protecting, providing for, and motivating ourselves. Both sides together can help us challenge long‐held negative core beliefs, soothe and diffuse painful emotions like shame and sadness, protect us from harm, set boundaries, and encourage us to take action or even risk failure. The course includes weekly classes that incorporate instruction, discussion, formal and informal practices and small group experiences. Weekly classes meet online via Zoom on Friday mornings. There is also a half day retreat which will be held during an extended class time Friday Half-Day Retreat. *Continuing education credits are available as outlined below for an additional fee of $50.
Learning Objectives for 8-week MSC Course:
- Describe the theory and research supporting mindful self-compassion
- Develop and apply self-compassion practices to motivate yourself with encouragement rather than self-criticism
- Assess and manage difficult situations and emotions with greater moment-to-moment acceptance
- Develop and apply self-compassion practices to respond to feelings of failure or inadequacy with self-kindness
- Transform difficult relationships, old and new, through self-validation
- Utilize the art of savoring and self-appreciation to overcome negative attention bias
- Apply core mindfulness and self-compassion practices into daily life
- Demonstrate simple self-compassion practices to patients, students, or clients
Continuing Education Credit
Psychologists: Continuing Education Credit for this program is provided by UC San Diego Center for Mindfulness. The UC San Diego Center for Mindfulness is approved by the American Psychological Association to sponsor continuing education for psychologists. The UC San Diego Center for Mindfulness maintains responsibility for this program and its content. This course offers 24.0 CE credit.
California licensed MFTs, LPCCs, LEPs, LCSWs: Continuing Education Credit for this program is provided by UC San Diego Center for Mindfulness. The UC San Diego Center for Mindfulness is approved by the American Psychological Association to sponsor continuing education for psychologists. 24.0 CE credit may be applied to your license renewal through the California Board of Behavioral Sciences. For those licensed outside California, please check with your local licensing board to determine if CE credit is accepted.
Nurses: UC San Diego Center for Mindfulness is approved by the California Board of Registered Nursing, Provider Number CEP16351, for 28.75 CE credit.